* Vampire-hunting, the 19th-century way.
* Huge gallery of international anti-war art
, via Pandagon
* Alex Rosenberg has a new book called Darwinian Reductionism: Or, How to Stop Worrying and Love Molecular Biology
, arguing towards a return to biological (and, really, physicochemical) determinisism. The American Scientist
(via A&L Daily
) has a skeptical review
. If you're interested, Rosenberg recently gave a series of lectures on Darwinism on Duke's campus, which have since been podcasted; I don't think you need a Duke login to listen.
1. "Is Darwinisim the Only Game in Town?"
2. "Nature or Nurture, Darwinism is the Only Game in Town"
3. "Naturalism's Nice Nihilism"
Be warned: some of these start about 40 minutes into the recording, others start right away.
* Via Bookninja
, beyond belief, another review of the new Tolkien novel says it's actually good